Thursday, 24 April 2014
Dude Food (aka Pizza with Chicken)
My boyfriend, or as I like to call him these days, "Fiancé," loves meat. He really, REALLY does. So when I make food for us it needs to have lots of lean protein on or in it. Even though pizza often gets a bad rap, it can actually be turned into a nutritional powerhouse with a few easy swaps. So instead of grease and fat, you get whole grains, lean protein, and still lots of cheesy goodness. This is what I like to call "Dude Food."
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sugar
*Tip: Alternatively you can purchase whole wheat dough from the grocery store to save some time. Look in the refrigerated bakery section for fresh dough or the dry bakery for a prepared crust. Just make sure to check the ingredients to make sure your dough is made from whole grain flour and not white flour. Skip to step 7 in directions if you choose to buy your dough.
1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast, seasoned, cooked and shredded (Tip: shred with 2 forks)
1 can pizza sauce
1/2 package turkey pepperonis
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a small bowl, combine yeast, water, and 1 tsp sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, salt, and remaining sugar. Make a well in the centre and add
yeast mixture and olive oil.
3. Stir until dough comes together, then knead by hand for about 5 minutes (Tip: kneading is the
process of repeatedly pressing dough down with the palm of your hand and folding it). Add
remaining flour if needed, until dough is no longer sticky.
4. Shape dough into a ball, place into a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The dough
needs to rise for about 1 hour in a slightly warm place.
5. Punch down risen dough and shape into ball and place on a lightly floured baking sheet or pizza
stone (Tip: A pizza stone will give a crispier pizza base).
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
7. Roll into a thin crust and top with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken, and
8. Bake pizza for 15-18 minutes. Once out of the oven, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and let sit for 5
minutes for cutting into it. Cut into 10 slices.
Tip: Feel free to add vegetables on top for an extra nutritional boost! Red onions, mushrooms, and green peppers are a great addition!
Nutrition (per slice)
Fat 7.2 g
Carbohydrates 27.3 g
Fibre 4.2 g
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 15.5 g